I grew up with two Italian Grandmas and a mom that loved to cook. I think that is really where my love of food came from. One of the first things I ever learned out to make was homemade pasta sauce and really it is one of the things I make that I am most proud of. It is really simple to do and you can add anything to it and make it your own. My husband loves meat sauce so that’s what I made the other day but you can add veggies or keep it plain or do whatever you like. You can make this either in a slow cooker, which I tend to do in the summer, or on the stove. Here is the basic recipe;
- 1/2 a large onion
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 (29 oz) cans crushed, diced, or pureed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium to medium high heat saute onions until tender.
- Add in garlic and saute for roughly 1-2 minutes, just until tender but not brown
- Add in tomatoes
- Add in tomato paste and seasoning, cover and simmer for at least an hour or as long as 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
If you like your sauce less acidic add sugar about 30-40 minutes before serving.
If you wanted to add meat or veggies just saute them before you add the tomatoes.
To make this in a crock pot follow steps 1 and 2 and then place the onion mixture in the crock pot then add tomatoes, tomato paste and seasoning to the crock pot and cook on low for 2 hours or until you are ready to serve stirring occasionally.