Let me start out by telling you of my family’s obsession with Mac and cheese. We LOVE it! I swear my kids could eat it every night of the week if I let them. They don’t care if it is baked, on the stove top, from the microwave.. as long as it is noodles and cheese and sauce they will gladly scarf it down and ask for seconds. I joke that how I first got my husband to notice me was that I made him mac and cheese back in college. 🙂
Anyway, even though I love mac and cheese right along with the rest of my family making it in the summer is the last thing I want to do. Heck sometimes just looking at my oven in the summer is just plain mean!
So when I came across a ‘tried and true’ slow cooker mac and cheese I was rather excited. This recipe comes from Six Sisters Stuff. They have some other amazing recipes on there that I cannot wait to try.
Unfortunately I forgot to get pictures this time, but when I make it next I will add them in.
So here is the recipe.
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 (10.75 oz) can condensed cheddar cheese soup (or cream of mushroom)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Boil the macaroni in water for six minutes and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Heat over medium high heat and stir until the cheese melts.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Combine cheese mixture, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper in your slow cooker. Add the drained macaroni and stir again.
- Cook on low for 2 to 2½ hours, stirring occasionally (I cooked mine for about 2 hours and stirred it twice and it was perfect).
I hope you like it!